Wednesday 8 February 2012

Nau Mai! This week has been interesting so far..

It turns out I do have time to write my blog today. Sorry to any I have now disappointed.

I did the MENSA test today, hopefully it will have gone ok. I receive my results in about 10 days and if I am in the top 2% of the country (with an IQ of 140-ish or above) I will be invited to join MENSA. If I don't get in then at least I know my IQ; that's got to count for something right? My Maths teacher (the one who refuses to wear a jumper) also did the test, so today in Maths we placed bets on who out of our class would have the highest IQ and also who we thought would have the lowest IQ. When we all get our results we might even play a 'Play Your Cards Right' style game - is it higher? Or is it lower?

Speaking of school, currently, I am making a lamp in the design of a toadstool in Design and Technology. It's going relatively well and I'm also further than most of my class. So far I've turned the base on the wood lathe out of  - surprise, surprise - wood and also turned the mould for the lampshade, which of course will be red with white spots on. I started making the feet today out of metal on an engineering lathe but haven't got round to finishing them yet. On the upside though, they are very shiny and look good and professional-ish. This should get me a better overall grade at the end - yay!

I don't know whether you were aware of this but it was Waitangi Day on Monday. Waitangi Day is a celebration in New Zealand designed to commemorate the signing of the Waitangi Treaty, New Zealand's founding document, and is a public holiday over there. The relevance of this is that I have been asked, as part of my Leadership qualification course to become a leader at the Girl Guide unit I help out at every Thursday, to organise and run an evening about Waitangi Day. The entire term has been based mainly around the Commonwealth as it is Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee this year (congrats to Lizzie!).
So I've been finding out recipes for ANZAC biscuits which are apparently slightly addictive and ginger beer (non-alcoholic as the Guides are 14 and under) and also other things such as Maori words and numbers. This lead to me discovering a new favourite word - aniwaniwa. It translates into English as rainbow which now seems like such a boring word for that pretty arc thing that occasionally appears in the sky. My Guiding unit are celebrating Waitangi Day tomorrow and I will post the recipe for ANZAC biscuits if it transpires that they are, in fact, delicious.

I think makes for a good conclusive sentence, so ka kite (see you soon - in Maori)

No comments:

Post a Comment