Sunday 6 July 2014

Book Review: The Fault In Our Stars

So I finally read The Fault In Our Stars (now I need to go see the film!) whilst I was on holiday last week and I thought I'd do a mini book review type thing. You will have to let me know if this is the sort of thing I should keep doing or just never do again because it's terrible (constructive criticism is totally welcome here!)


The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Okay so I was never bothered about TFIOS but since the film came out, it has resurfaced on my social media sites (mainly Twitter) and everybody has been talking about it again therefore, I decided to give it a try and see if it was worth the praise and hype it has been receiving.

TFIOS is a ridiculously easy book to read; I think I got through it in about a day and a half (I am a fast reader but that is speedy for me especially as I haven't really been reading too much recently). You become integrated into the book very quickly and easily, the transition between reality and fiction whilst reading this is pretty seamless. It's a real-life book too which makes it easier, it's something people can relate to and as the plot is around "Cancer Kids", it is relevant because at the moment, almost everyone I know has had some form of cancer affect their lives in one way or another over the years.
Hazel Grace Lancaster, the main character, is a relatable character in some ways. What with the obsessions with terrible TV that you can't help but watch, the interest in boys but being convinced there's no chance in hell of having a boyfriend. Augustus is your typical charmer, the type of boy every girl wants in her life so a tad less relatable as the majority of us girls are yet to find our Prince Charming/Mr Darcy/Augustus Waters. 
However, Isaac has that strength and happiness and despair that shows through in anyone's life. Personally, he was my favourite character in the book, the strength of his mind despite all he went through and endured was certainly admirable and I would love to have the same kind of inner strength that he does. Despite that strength though, he is completely aware that it is totally okay to break down and flip out sometimes and that it is actually very healthy to do just that which I think is ace. 
I don't want to give too much of the plot away to any of those who have not read this book so I'm not going to talk too much about it but I will say the ending was far better than others I've read. It was emotional, not tear-jerking for me as it seems for so many others, but it was raw and was written exquisitely I feel. It was something that not many teens would ever experience.
The one thing I could criticise is the depth of the story, yes it was well thought out and thought-provoking and a beautiful story but it was so quick to read that I felt as if I didn't get enough, that there wasn't enough for me to get my teeth into so to speak.
Was it worth all the hype? Almost I think, the book is fab but the story didn't quite live up to expectation for me. But kudos to John Green for writing an incredible book, I would still recommend it to anyone.




What are your guys thoughts? On TFIOS, my book reviews and on life in general - I would love to know :)

x

6 comments:

  1. I agree with your criticism, it was way to short! The film was the same, you need to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the one thing I didn't like about it, I know I do! I'll have to start badgering my friends to get them to come with me :) x

      Delete
  2. Nice review! I read TFIOS in Finnish and I gotta say that although I really loved the plot and story, the translation was very poor... I could see how it would be much better in English. The book did have great characters I think, very real. I think I had quite great expectations about the book because everybody where going so mental about it :P Have to watch the movie some day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I had quite high expectations too, it seems to be the only book/film people are talking about at the minute! x

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy reading book reviews. Loved the concept of your post! If you have a moment could you check out my blog:
    simplyeasierliving.blogspot.com
    I also just followed you on bloglovin, if you could do the same!
    Thanks
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) I will definitely check out your blog and follow you too
      I look forward to reading your posts,
      Charly x

      Delete